Friday, June 5, 2009

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a heavy, moody, sad little book. The story of Charlie is only 213 pages long and is told by way of letters from him to someone he addresses as Dear Friend. It's Charlie's freshman year of high school, he's different, lonely and confused by every day high school happenings. His letters are heartbreaking and honest as he tries his best to navigate life at school and home. We slowly move with Charlie through the school year as he makes a few friends, has his first crush and deals with the death of a loved one. As the story unfolds we learn more of Charlie's history which offers somewhat of an explanation of his thoughts and feelings.

Charlie is a character that will stay with me for a long time.

Although I felt the story leading up to a big ending I wasn't prepared for the crash landing.

I was under the impression that this was a book for young adults and was puzzled as to way our public library had it in the adult section. I now think that it's exactly where it belongs. The subject matter deals with sex, homosexuality, drugs, death and suicide. Very heavy subject matter. I would caution any parent to preview this book before letting your child read it.

I think it's a great book but a reader should be old enough to handle the emotions that come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment