Sunday, April 4, 2010

GIRL IN THE ARENA



GIRL IN THE ARENA

By Lise Haines

2009

324 Pages

From Inside Cover:

During the week, Lyn lives in a big house in Cambridge and hangs out with friends in Harvard Square. But over the weekend, she cheers her father on as he gears up for neo-gladiator competition-a high profile televised blood sport that rivals the NFL. Lyn's father is the top player in the league, and the paparazzi that have always swarmed him have started to dog Lyn's every move. All this fame comes with another price-Lyn's family lives with the constant presence of violence, uncertainty, and a strict cultural code set by the Gladiator Sports Association. When a skilled young fighter slays Lyn's father, the GSA imposes an unthinkable sentence-Lyn must marry her father's murderer. Though her mother made a career out of marrying into Glad culture, Lyn is prepared to do whatever it takes to claim her independence. Even if it means going into the arena herself....

Girl in the Arena is Lise Hines first young adult novel. I loved The Hunger Games and everything that Katnis represented in a strong young female. I fully expected to eat this book up with a spoon. A young female gladiator-on the cover she looks seriously kick ass. Never mind that within the first few chapters of the book she shaves her head and remains bald for the rest of the story! Baldness aside, the story was fine. Although it did sort of piss me off that her big battle doesn't even take place until the every end. It feels like it takes for ever to lead up to the big battle scene. Come on already!! It felt a little pieced together in parts-like maybe it was edited but never tidied up by the author? No, the story was fine. The problem was Lyn-the main character. I never felt an emotional connection with her. And for everything that she goes through in the book, it should have been there. Maybe it was me? Was I the one lacking spark? I did battle the flu all week.... I can't wait to read some other reviews on this one and try to figure it out.

I really wanted to LOVE Girl in the Arena but sadly it was just a good book. Put down and quickly forgotten as I move on to the next. I bought this used on Amazon.com and I'll be donating it to the Salmon Public Library. I recommend it for reader 13 and up. It does have violence-hello! It's gladiators people.

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I too want to read this and am hoping for the Hunger Games like spark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read mixed reviews on this one but it is on my TBR list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete