Saturday, March 20, 2010

FEED


FEED
By M.T. Anderson
2002
236 Pages
From Inside Cover:
"We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to totally suck."
So says Titus, whose ability to read, write, and even think for himself has been completely obliterated by his "feed", a transmitter implanted directly into his brain. Feeds are a crucial part of life for Titus and his friends. After all, how else would they know where to party on the moon, how to get bargains at Weatherbee & Crotch, or how to accessorize the mysterious lesions everyone's been getting? But then Titus meets Violet, a girl who cares about what's happening to the world and challenges everything Titus and his friends hold dear. A girls who decides to fight the feed.
This book had some very real and frightening concepts to me. It shows the planet in a not so very distant future after we have used up important resources. The air and oceans are polluted and people are getting sick. Humans are implanted with feeds that constantly bombard their thoughts with advertisements. Feeds connect people in a split second but completely disconnect you from your surroundings.
I had a hard time liking Titus, the main character. He's a selfish, self absorbed teenager who lives for the moment and could care less about the future. He struggles with the way he is and the way he wants to be after he meets Violet. A very interesting book for sure. I'm not super crazy about science fiction but I really needed to know how Titus and Violet would end up.
I recommend this book for readers 14 and up for language. This book available for check out at the Salmon Public Library.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting on my blog.
    Nice review. Sounds like an interesting read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy - Thanks so much for stopping by my blog last week and taking the time to comment. I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't seen any comments since January! Somehow, my comment notification got turned off and comments weren't showing up in my dashboard, either. I've been blogging for years and maintain 3 blogs, so I feel pretty stupid for not realizing this was going on! Anyway, I fixed the problem, so I'll be a lot more responsive from now on!

    This book sounds interesting. I enjoy sci-fi futuristic plots. I like your blog - I'll be back!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete