Wednesday, March 30, 2011

OH.MY.GODS.

OH.MY.GODS. By Tera Lynn Childs 2008 Pages 264 From Inside Cover: If Phoebe Castro can keep her grades up and have another stellar cross-country season, her dream of attending USC with her best friends is only a track scholarship away. She's made all her plans, so it's a complete shock when her mom announces she's marrying a mysterious stranger and moving them half way around the world-to Greece. Phoebe's stuck on a secret island in the Aegean, attending a super-exclusive Academy, where her new step father is the headmaster and the kids are anything but your average students-they are descendants of the Greek gods, superpowers included. That's right, Greek gods are no myth! If Phoebe thought high school was hard, she knows this is going to be mortal misery. Securing that scholarship seems like Phoebe's only ticket out of Greece, but training and maintaining her grades will be grueling, even without a sabotaging stepsister from Hades and a gorgeous guy-what a god!-who just might be her Achilles' heel. One thing is for sure-summoning the will to win and finding her place among the gods could be Phoebe's toughest course yet. My Thoughts: Oh.My.Gods. is a quick little page turner. A welcome break from the world of dystopia that I've been up to my eyeballs in. The story is light and fluffy. I found the characters likable with exception of the mom who I felt needed to be a little more available to her daughter. After all she just uprooted Phoebe from her home, friends and school and yet she's too busy planning her wedding to realize that her daughter is struggling with a new school, stepsister and boys. Mother aside Oh.My.Gods. was a fun story and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Goddess Boot Camp.I bought this book used from Amazon.com and plan to donate it to Salmon Middle School Library.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this one a lot too and found Phoebe to be a fun and bold main character. I loved her confidence!

    ReplyDelete