Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Giver


The Giver by Lois Lowry was the third book that I read for MotherReader 48 hour book challenge. This book was recommended to me by a 15 year old boy who promised me it would be worth my time. He was without a doubt right.

This story is set in the future and is about a boy named Jonas. In his world there is no hunger, poverty or conflict. Everyone lives by a set of rules and everyone obeys without question. Every family unit receives a boy and a girl to raise. When children turn 12 years of age they are given a life assignment determined by a committee of people called Elders.

Jonas is assigned a job called the Receiver of Memories. It is explained to him that his job is special and it involves lies and and long buried secrets. His knowledge of things are not allowed to be shared with anyone, even those he loves most.

Jonas has always believed that he lived in a perfect place, but in this story learns that perfection comes at a high price.

This book was a page turner. I couldn't put it down. I had to know what would happen to Jonas.

I recommend this book to readers 12 and up.

This book is available at the Salmon Public Library to check out.

1 comment: