Thursday, February 18, 2010

IF THE WITNESS LIED






IF THE WITNESS LIED

By Caroline B. Cooney

2009

224 Pages




This fast paced thriller takes place in the span of 24 short hours. Four children are orphaned by horrible circumstances beyond their control.
Sadly the media was there to witness every tragic event unfold.
First, their mother decides to forgo cancer treatment to give her unborn child a chance to be brought into the world. This decision bring protesters and unwanted media attention.
Sadly, the mother does not survive after giving birth to a beautiful healthy little boy. The media is there when they try to bury and grieve for their mother.
A short time later an "aunt" Cheryl shows up at the door to help pick up the pieces and starts helping take care the family. One day as their father is backing down the driveway he stops for some reason to fix something. While he's under the car baby Tristin escapes his car seat and accidentally releases the parking break, causing the jeep to run over their father.
Now baby Tristan is blamed for the death of both parents. The family breaks apart shortly after the burial of their father. Madison goes to live at her godparent's home. Smithy headed to a boarding school in another state, while Jack stays behind to try to care for baby brother Tristan.
The Fountain family seems doomed by sadness and separation until Jack accidental over hears a conversation that "aunt" Cheryl is having with a T.V. producer. It seems that Tristan's upcoming third birthday is about to become a media circus once again. Suddenly these scattered siblings put a plan in motion to protect their baby brother and bring their family together again.
I don't want to give away too much of the story with my review. I can tell you that once I picked it up and started reading I absolutely couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going to happen to this poor family. Also the story is sad, I mean these kids lose both parents! That's a pretty heavy subject. I was hoping and praying that this siblings would conquer and come together. I would really like to get my hands on a couple of Caroline Cooney's other books to see if they are as exciting as this one. I heard "The Face on the Milk Carton" and "Whatever Happened to Janie?" are good ones. So I'll be on the look out for these.
I recommend this book for ages 12 and older. This book is available for check out at the Salmon Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment