Saturday, April 30, 2011

LORD OF THE FLIES



LORD OF THE FLIES

by William Golding

1954

178 Pages
Summary taken from Good Reads:
William Golding's classic tale about a group of English schoolboys who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island is just as chilling and relevant today as when it was first published in 1954. At first, the stranded boys cooperate, attempting to gather food, make shelters, and maintain signal fires. Overseeing their efforts are Ralph, "the boy with fair hair," and Piggy, Ralph's chubby, wisdom-dispensing sidekick whose thick spectacles come in handy for lighting fires. Although Ralph tries to impose order and delegate responsibility, there are many in their number who would rather swim, play, or hunt the island's wild pig population. Soon Ralph's rules are being ignored or challenged outright. His fiercest antagonist is Jack, the redheaded leader of the pig hunters, who manages to lure away many of the boys to join his band of painted savages. The situation deteriorates as the trappings of civilization continue to fall away, until Ralph discovers that instead of being hunters, he and Piggy have become the hunted: "He forgot his words, his hunger and thirst, and became fear; hopeless fear on flying feet." Golding's gripping novel explores the boundary between human reason and animal instinct, all on the brutal playing field of adolescent competition.

My Thoughts:

I'm not going to try to write a review for a classic book that has had a million reviews written for it. I really can't do it justice. I will say that I very much enjoyed this little book. Its 178 pages pack a punch. Although this book is not traditionally thought of as a Young Adult novel it is usually considered required reading for high school students in schools across America.

In my quest to read 100 Classics in 5 years I choose Lord of the Flies for two reasons. First, I didn't read it in high school, instead was given The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway(In my humble opinion this would have been much exciting). Second, based on everything I've read and heard about Lord of the Flies I thought it sounded like a good Young Adult cross-over. After reading it I absolutely think any Young Adult who liked Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins would enjoy this classic novel.
Unfortunately the copy that I checked out from my library contains a foreword that gives away all the major things that happen the story. So reader be warned-if you don't want to know-skip the foreword.

If you are looking for a good classic to pick up, give this one a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I HATE forewords that do that! I had the same problem with Jane Eyre! I loved this book back in high school and have been thinking about rereading it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete