Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review-Carpe Demon



CARPE DEMON
Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom
By Julie Kenner
2005
360 pages
From Back Cover:
Lots of women put their careers aside once the kids come along. Kate Connor for instance, hasn't hunted a demon in ages. That must be why she missed the one wandering through the pet food aisle of the San Diablo Walmart. Unfortunately, he managed to catch her attention an hour later-when he crashed into the Connor house, intent on killing her. Now Kate has to clean up the mess in her kitchen, dispose of a dead demon, and pull together a dinner party that will get her husband elected to County Attorney-all without rousing her family's suspicion. Worse yet, it seems the dead demon didn't come alone.....
It's time for Kate to get back to work.
My Thoughts:
Lately I don't veer very far from Young Adult but sometimes a book catches my attention and I have to check it out. I won this little jewel in a contest some time ago and finally plucked it from my towering TBR pile. The clever title had me cracking up right away-looking for a few light hearted laughs I read the first few pages.
HOOKED!
This is how I picture Buffy the vampire slayer in her later years. A busy mom with too many irons in the fire. Reluctantly fighting a few pesky demons who show up on her doorstep all while keeping the husband happy, feeding her children well balanced meals and making sure that her house is clean.
Of course there's way more to the story. Demons just don't show up without a reason. Poor Kate doesn't have the help of Nyles, the crusty British librarian but she does have a awesome best friend named Laura who is ready and willing.
This book is the first in a series by Julie Kenner. I will be reading the second installment-California Demon. I can hardly wait to see what happens to Kate and side kick Laura next.
If you were ever a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer you will love this book. Even if you weren't and your looking for a quick easy read with a few giggles give it a shot.
It's a great summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment