Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review-Darkly Dreaming Dexter



DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER
By Jeff Lindsay
2004
288 Pages
From Back Cover:
Meet Dexter Morgan, a polite wolf in sheep's clothing. He's handsome and charming, but something in his past has made him abide by a different set of rules. He's a serial killer whose one golden rule makes him immensely likable: he only kills bad people. And his job as a blood spatter expert for the Miami police department puts him in the perfect position to identify his victims. But when a series of brutal murders bearing a striking similarity to his own style start turning up, Dexter is caught between being flattered and being frightened-of himself or some other fiend.
My thoughts:
Let me first say that I'm a HUGE fan of the televised Dexter on Showtime. Michael C. Hall is pure genius as Dexter. If you haven't seen the show go immediately to the nearest video store and rent the first season. It will blow your socks off. Be warned it's a bit bloody-he's a serial killer people! Which brings us to the reason why I picked up the book in the first place. I was curious to know if the show is following the books or has gone in a different direction with the character of Dexter. After reading the first book I discovered that the show has made a few changes which has made me even more anxious to read the second book-Dearly Devoted Dexter! So I predict that it will be a summer filled Dexter. That's fine with me because I'm still waiting for the 5th season to come out on DVD. You see I can't watch it on TV like normal people-I have to watch episode after episode all at one time because I'm impatient by nature. I can't stand the suspense of waiting week to week to see what Dexter is going to do next.
Back to the book.
Dexter was adopted by a police detective named Harry who knew the details of how Dexter came to be orphaned. Harry recognizes at an early age that Dexter is "different" thus introduces him to the Code of Harry. Dexter is a sociopath who is incapable of feeling human emotions but has the urge to kill. Harry makes sure that Dexter channels these feelings and rid the world of criminals-people who kill people. Dexter's job as a blood spatter expert helps him find the killers and take care of them. Dexter is mostly just trying to fit in with society by mostly winging it. Whether it comes to his foster sister Deborah who also works at the police station or a blind date that he knows he should have to seem normal. His observations of human behavior are hilarious. Dexter narrates the story so it gives the reader a great perspective into his crazy world. Although you are completely aware that Dexter kills people as a hobby the author Jeff Lindsay makes it impossible not to like the guy. It's incredibly twisted awesomeness!
Would I recommend this book to a friend:
Damn right! But only the ones that don't mind blood and the occasional f-bomb thrown around. Not to mention a lot of violence.
Where did I get this book:
I bought this book on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment