Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review-MOCKINGJAY



MOCKINGJAY
By Suzanne Collins
300 Pages

Taken from Goodreads:
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains - except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost.
My Thoughts:
I have put off reading the final book of this much loved series for a reason-I didn't want it to end. Katniss is truly one of the most memorable characters in young adult fiction that has appealed to teenagers and adults alike.
A painting/organizing project helped me decide to "listen" to this story rather that "read" it. The only regret I have is that I waited so long because it took me a while to try to remember various characters and their history from the previous books. I wish I would have just started at the beginning and reread Hungar Games and Catching Fire and refreshed my brain from the start.
Regardless, the story is fast paced and emotionally charged from page one. I love that Suzanne Collins doesn't waste time with back stories and jumps right into where Catching Fire left off. 
Katniss wakes up in District 13 and finds that her world has been turned upside down. She is physically and mentally weak. She is unsure of who she can trust-friends are dead, allies have betrayed her and Peeta is now in the hands of the Capitol.
Katniss now has to decide if she will continue to play the role as the leader of the rebellion for District 13.  Although she knows that the rebellion is the only chance Peeta has of rescue she doesn't quite trust District 13's intentions.
The "love triangle" between Katniss, Gale and Peeta takes a backseat and more focus is put on the politics and government corruption of the Capitol and District 13.
I was happy with how the author wrapped this trilogy up. I know that it had alot of mixed reviews along with mixed emotions on who Katniss ends up with at the end. For me I will say that the ending felt right.
Katniss and her story will long live in my mind. It's a trilogy that will sit on my book shelf and hopefully be read by my kids in the future.
I'm giddy with excitement to see Hungar Games next week. Stay tuned for my review of the movie in the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment