Friday, April 23, 2010

GIRL POWER!!!!


I'D TELL YOU THAT I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU
By Ally Carter
2006
284 Pages
From Back Cover:
Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school--typical that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes for computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it's really a school for spies. Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man seven different ways with her bare hands, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"--but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?
My thoughts:
I had visions of Sidney from Alias dancing in my head the whole time I read this story. How I miss that show.
Cammie Morgan has her hands full. She lives, eats, and breathes the life of a spy in training. She was born to do this job. Both her parents are spies and her mother runs the Gallagher Academy. But when Cammie meets Josh her life is turned upside down. After all, she can't really share details of her personal life, introduce him to her friends, or have him meet her mom. She quickly realizes that her whole life must be kept a secret which makes a relationship really hard.
What's a girl to do? Get creative of course!
I loved the spy element that was dropped into the all girls school story line. It was fresh and exciting. There were laugh out loud moments of the situations that Cammie and her friends got into trying to use their spy techniques-it didn't always go according to plan. And Cammie just seemed very human in an unusual situation.
This is the first book in a series and I most definitely want to pick up the next one. I really want to see where Cammie and the gang end up next. This book has also been optioned for film by Walt Disney Pictures. It would make a great movie, I hope they do it.
I recommend this book for readers 12 and up. I bought it at Barnes and Noble bookstore.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this a great book, Tammy? I read it a couple of years ago and think I read the follow-up book as well. Such a clever concept and I thought of Sydney of Alias as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete