Monday, April 5, 2010

PRETTY LITTLE LIARS


PRETTY LITTLE LIARS
By Sara Shepard
2006
286 Pages
From Inside Cover:
Gossip thrives amid the Mercedes-Benzes, mega mansions, and perfectly manicured hedges in the exclusive town of Rosewood, Pennsylvania. Behind their big Gucci sunglasses, beneath their perfectly pressed Polos, everyone has something to hide.Especially high school juniors Spencer, Aria, Emily and Hanna. Spenser covets her sister's gorgeous new boyfriend. Aria is having an affair with her English teacher. Emily is infatuated with the new girl in school. And Hanna is using some ugly tricks to stay beautiful. Deeper and darker still is a horrible secret the girls have shared since sixth grade-a secret they thought was safe forever. Then the girls start receiving threatening messages signed by someone named "A." Could "A" be Alison, the ultra-popular girl who disappeared three years earlier? Alison was their best friend. She knew everything about them. But if Alison isn't "A," who is? And how could anyone else know so much about the bad girls they were and the bad girls they've become? Suddenly their secrets-the big ones, the little ones, even the long buried ones-no longer seem so secret. Suddenly nothing is safe in Rosewood.
I originally started this series because another blogger that I was following was having a "Pretty Little Liars" Book Challenge. So I bought the book used on Amazon.com and thought I would join. So here's where I'm pretty sure my age is starting to catch up with me-hell if I can remember who the blogger is! If anyone else knows please give me a heads up in the comment section. Thanks.
Luckily the book was not a waste of time or money. I flew through it on a Sunday morning wrapped in covers and a NyQuil fog. I'm definitely hooked, today I will be ordering the second book in the series called Flawless.
I'm going to call this book a guilty pleasure. These girls are naughty! They are all up to bad things they really shouldn't be doing, they are all headed down a slippery road of destruction. Emily is thinking she might be playing for the other team after a cute girl moves to town. Aria is a hot mess-she witnessed her father, a professor, fooling around with a young student and kept the secret from her mom. Now she is involved in a forbidden relationship with her English teacher. Hanna is head queen bee but has abused her body to get to the top and she's a theif who steals high price items for the thrill of it. And Spenser, she wants to be the best at everything and never quite feels like she will ever measure up to her perfect older sister, Melissa. Maybe stealing Melissa's boyfriend would be the perfect payback?
Reading the escapades of these girls is like licking the brownie bowl instead of filling it with hot soapy water. You know you shouldn't, your probably going to regret it.... oh but it tastes so good!
I would recommend this book for ages 15 and older. There is Language, Drinking, and Serious Making Out but not the big nasty. I will be saving this book for a giveaway.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds GREAT! I love this type of book! I'll have to give it a go! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete